Overview of OBD codes
If you have scanned your own car and want to find out what the OBD2 diagnostic codes mean, we will help you figure out this problem. Especially for you, we have prepared a complete list of codes for Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, KIA, Land Rover, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan, VW and other cars. You will see for yourself what the OBD2 numbers mean, as well as the causes and signs of failure, possible methods of their elimination, if you read our article. If necessary, you can download the codes to your own computer.
To choose the right scanner you can read our review: Best OBD2 Scanner
What is a fault code
If you have been looking for OBD2 fault codes characteristic of each brand for a long time, it should be borne in mind that many common machines have their own cipher in the form of a numerical sequence. OBD is designated as an abbreviated name of the on-board computer. Just enter the fault code to see all the hidden problems of your car with the support of the Auto Doctor software. The electronic system of the machine instantly performs self-diagnostics, after which it displays all the information on the on-board computer screen.
Which machines are used for
Every time a new error is detected, it is written to the original DTC cipher. As the owner of your car or an auto mechanic, you can always decipher it and understand the cause of the malfunction. If the code P0201 appears on the screen, it means that the injectors of the first cylinder require urgent repair. You just need to fix the problems. It should be borne in mind that the OBDII codes correspond to the same breakdowns characteristic of OBD2 vehicles. This rule applies to all SUVs, commercial vehicles weighing up to 1.5 tons, which have been manufactured in America since 1996. All new-model cars that have been mass-produced since 1996 comply with OBD2 standards. This means only one thing, that the OBDII code can be applied to them to compile a fault report.
How to read OBD2 codes
The OBD system guarantees high-quality monitoring of various car concepts during operation. The main systems include the engine control module, the means of the chassis safe control system such as ABS, ESP, TCS, EBD, tire pressure sensors, ventilation and other systems. If you look at the OBD2 numbers, you can immediately determine where the breakdown is located. It is only necessary to understand the numbers that this cipher contains. Here are some specific examples.
The first character
OBDII codes always start with the first letter. In our case, the letters P, U, B and C mean a specific damaged machine module.
- Power plant “P“. This category includes the motor, gearbox and all related devices without exception.
- The combined networks of the car “U“. These are functions that use the concepts of an on-board computer in their work.
- Car body systems “B“. This segment includes all devices that are located in the cab of the car.
- The chassis of the car “C“. It includes such mechanical concepts that are responsible for the operation of the steering wheel, suspension, and braking elements.
The second character (number)
- As a rule, the first letter is followed by a number from “0” to “3“. The code is standardized (SAE). If it is the number “0“, “2” and “3“, it can be called common, and the number “1” indicates the manufacturer’s code.
- Digit “0“,”2“,”3” – this is a common code.
- The number “0” – you are looking at the manufacturer’s code.
The third character (number and letter)
The third character means a specific damaged system and looks like a set of one digit with a letter. There are only 8 categories:
- Diagnostics of fuel and air consumption, control of exhaust gas emissions into the atmosphere “0“.
- Fuel calculation and air consumption “1“.
- The efficiency of the nozzle, the dosage of fuel and air “2“.
- Ignition concepts and possible malfunctions “3“.
- Auxiliary supervision of emissions “4“.
- Control of idle speed and concepts that are responsible for the speed of the machine.
- On-board computer circuit, possible malfunctions “6“.
- Gear shift box “7“.
- Mixed breakage codes “A-F“
The fourth and fifth signs (number)
The final part of the cipher is responsible for the problems and is a set of two digits from 0 to 99. This numerical value clearly indicates the name of the fault and the cause of its occurrence. The set of numbers can be completely different. The classic cipher indicates a 5-digit problem. Each of these signs determines the cause of the malfunction. For example, if the code P0219 appears, it means that the speed of rotation of the motor has deviations from the norm. To find out the reason, you need to decrypt the code. All numbers from “2” to “19” indicate a problem of speeding.
- The “P” symbol indicates problems in the gearbox.
- The additional digit “0” indicates that this is a general type of malfunction.
- The code “2” indicates a malfunction of the fuel and air dosing system, a malfunction of the nozzle.
In a special table, you can see the full list of OBD codes. As mentioned earlier, DTC codes starting with the letter “P” belong to gearboxes. The codes that belong to the network integration concept begin with the letter “U“. The symbol “B” stands for the car body, and the symbol “C” stands for the chassis.